Well, this has been a bit of an irregular blog - I do apologise for not keeping it more up to date. What's been going on with my 'renewed' set? Well, the hat is finished!
When I had got the hat lower edging done, I realised that it still looked a bit unfinished - so I folded the seam together where the band meets the main hat pieces and did the same blanket stitch edging along the other band edge. This was then finished in knot stitch to match the other edge. Adding a mirror edge balanced the band nicely and didn't affect the stretch.
The tassel was made by winding some of the thick and thin yarn around a card, tying off very tightly and knotting. The attachment is several strands of the plain yarn I used for the chain stitch row on the mittens (and on the edge of the waistcoat...more on this later in the week), sewn backwards and forwards and strengthened by blanket stitch into an outsize tailor's tack. This makes a tidy, strong attachment.
The finished hat is fun & a bit quirky - a bit much for me to wear myself, but I think it will look great on my gorgeous daughter Laura. It's a kind of combination between a Victorian nightcap and a headband! I left these photos a bit washed out so you could see the detail better.
Onwards to the finishing line!
Now, while I was working on the smaller items, I became aware that I was NOT going to have the 25% new fibre added if I didn't do something fancy with the waistcoat. Initially I was just going to finish it with a simple rib band around the sleeves and fron/neck opening, but as I worked I decided that the front band could well extend into a shawl collar added with short rows before the cast-off. So I have chain-stitched the edge for my starting stitches and will begin by picking up enough stitches to go right around the front/neck edges, rib a band including buttonholes and then work the collar before casting off. I aim to get all this done before the weekend, so it will be a bit of a pinch. Perhaps I shouldn't have taken that time off for a holiday in the middle of the project?
Well, what a cold, snowy few days it's been. No post in or out since Friday, and I know you people who are waiting for parcels will be chafing at the bit to get at them. Yesterday I got up early and shovelled the snow (20cm/8 inches) off the front step so that further falls from the roof wouldn't trap us in the house!
The plough finally arrived and liberated us from the house at 7:30 p.m., only to have a fresh fall of snow undo much of his work. Great heaps of snow are siting over the end of the driveway where he left them, though.
While I'm stuck here, I though I might start thinking about a new competition/challenge, so you'll be hearing about this soon! Think recycling with embellishments...
Hope you are all warm and comfortable and enjoying the slightly festive feeling!
After spending the whole summer working in Blenheim, Ken and I are taking a well-earned break in the North Island, visiting family and relaxing at beautiful Cooper's Beach in Northland. We will be flying away tomorrow evening (11th March), returning on Sunday the 20th.
Things to watch out for on my return: I'll be rolling out the new pastels over the next few weeks, and test-dyeing some yarn shades. there are plans afoot for a felting day here in Oxford some time in the next few months - more about that later!
In the meantime, If you haven't entered the competition, please do! There have been some really exciting entries so far - I can see that it's going to be tough sorting out the winner. I'm looking forward to seeing a flood of entries in my inbox while I'm away!
Kate is a photographer, writer, web author and craft dyer who lives in North Canterbury, New Zealand.