I spent most of my spinning time yesterday spinning the very fine silk 3rd ply, which is used to bind the mohair loops in place. I really enjoyed the process, but because it was so fine, it took a long time!
In the evening I began to ply the silk onto the boucle 2-ply. This didn't go well, as the first five minutes revealed that the first plying wasn't tight enough, so I ran the first yarn through the wheel again to add more twist.
Then I began to ply again, wrapping the binder rather than straight plying. This effect didn't appeal visually, so I skeined the first 20m off and washed it, then inspected it to see how I liked it. It was nearly balanced, but still didn't appeal, so I plied the rest of the bobbin normally, with a fairly low twist. This looked a lot better, so I washed the yarn and left it to dry overnight.
Today I WILL get to the second batch of hankies: fuchsia red, and perhaps start plying with the baby camel down singles from days one and two.
Kate is a photographer, writer, web author and craft dyer who lives in North Canterbury, New Zealand.